Code shall mutatis mutandis apply for the collections of toll through private contractors on the basis of competitive bidding under sub-rule (1).
5. Mode of collection of toll.- (1) Every driver, owner or person in charge of a motor vehicle other than a person who has obtained a pass under Sub-rule (2) of rule 3, required to pay toll under these rules shall, before crossing bridge or after having crossed it, stop his vehicle at the cross bar, go to the toll collection booth to pay the toll leviable in respect of the vehicle and obtain from the Officer or other person in charge of toll collection a receipt in Form 'C' in token of having paid the toll before he is allowed to proceed further.
(2) The Officer or other person in charge of the toll collection shall, on receipt of the toll specified in the schedule, fill up a receipt in Form 'C' with counterfoil and deliver a copy thereof to the driver, owner or the person in charge of the vehicle in respect of which the toll has been paid and retain in the counterfoil in his office. The vehicle shall be allowed to go ahead of the cross bar only after the toll has been paid and receipt issued under these rules.
(3) Where, and if, found necessary, the Executive Engineer/Assistant Engineer may also set up Counter checking booths. For this purpose, where such a booth has been set up at some location considered suitable beyond a toll collection booth, after the motor vehicle has crossed the bridge and also paid the prescribed toll, the officer in charge on Counter checking duty at the counter checking booth shall ensure that the motor vehicle is allowed to pass from the counter checking Cross bar only after verifying or checking the copies of the receipt for payment of the toll or the pass issued under Sub-rule (2) of rule 3, from the driver, owner or person in charge of the vehicle.
6. Remittance of Toll Collected.- (1) The Officer in charge of the Toll Collection shall be responsible for the collection and safe custody of the amounts collected towards toll during the period of his duty and shall not leave his booth till his reliever takes over charge from him.
(2) The Officer in charge of the Toll Collection shall maintain a cash register in Form 'D' and keep it posted up-to-date.
(3) The Officer in charge of the Toll Collection shall at the end of the period of his duty, hand over the amount collected by him to his reliever after obtaining the signature of the latter in the relevant Column of the cash register.
(4) Every day, the Officer in charge of the toll collection shall hand over the entire amount of toll collected during the proceeding 24 hours to the Assistant Engineer in charge of the bridge after obtaining his signature in the relevant Column of the cash register.
(5) The Assistant Engineer shall keep the amounts of Collection received from the Officer in charge of the Toll Collection in the chest provided for the purpose at his office.
(6) The Assistant Engineer shall, on every Friday or if it happens to be a holiday on the next working day or whenever the balance exceeds five hundred rupees, remit the amount received by him under sub-rule (5), in the treasury by chalan and forward the chalans and remittance statement to the Assistant Executive Engineer.
(7) The Assistant Engineer shall maintain a register in Form 'E', showing the remittance made into the treasury and shall keep the register posted up-to-date.
(8) The Assistant Engineer shall exercise supervision and control over the staff posted at the bridge in connection with the collection of the tolls and over the maintenance of proper accounts and records by such staff.
(9) The Assistant Executive Engineer, in charge of the road on which the bridge is situated, shall check the collection and remittance of tolls in accordance with these rules by paying surprise visits at least once in a fortnight at the offices of the Officer in charge of the Toll Collection and the Assistant Engineer, concerned. He shall countersign the cash register maintained by the Officer in charge of the Toll Collection and Assistant Engineer, concerned, in token of such a check having been made. Such visits shall also be undertaken by the Executive Engineers concerned, at least once in a month.