*THE KERALA TOLLS LEVY RULES, 1983
S.R.O. No. 914/83.- In exercise of the powers conferred by section 11 of the Kerala Tolls Act, 1976 (6 of 1977), the Government of Kerala hereby make the following Rules, namely
1. Short title and commencement.- (1) These rules may be called the Kerala Tolls Levy Rules, 1983.
(2) They shall come into force on the 22nd day of July, 1983.
2. Definition.- In these rules unless the context otherwise requires
(a) "Act" means the Kerala Tolls Act, 1976 (6 of 1977);
(b) "Form" means a form appended to these rules;
(c) "Officer" means the officer authorised by Government under sub-rule (1) of rule 4 to Collect the toll.
3. Rules of toll and its payment- (1) There shall be levied and paid to the Assistant Engineer on behalf of the Government of Kerala, or to any other person entrusted with the collection of toll on behalf of the Government, toll on motor vehicles other than those belonging to the Government of Kerala or Government of India for entering a bridge at the rates specified in the Schedule to these rules.
(2) If the same vehicle has to use the bridge Continuously and frequently for a long period, the ownershall have the option to compound the toll for periods for one month or above, but not exceeding one year on payment of an amount equal to one and a half times the respective rates for single entry per day for the periods for which the toll is compounded. Application for Compounding shall be submitted in Form 'A' to the Assistant Engineer or to the contractor entrusted with the collection of tolls in advance of the period of compounding mentioned above. In such cases a pass shall be issued in form 'B'.
(3) Toll shall be levied till the cost of the construction of the bridge with simple interest at 9% is recovered. When recovery is completed in respect of a bridge and a report from the Chief Engineer, Buildings & Roads is received to that effect, the Government may, by notification in the Gazette, withdraw further levy of toll on that bridge with effect from such date as may be specified in such notification.
4. Procedure for Collection/Realisation of Amount, Handling etc.- (1) All tolls levied under these rules shall be collected departmentally by an officer authorised by the Government in this behalf or through private contractors on the basis of competitive bidding on behalf of the government of Kerala. For this purpose, necessary arrangements shall be made by the Public Works Department for putting up adequate number of Collection booths, operated manually or by automatic arrangements or by combination of both, as may be considered suitable by the Assistant Engineer, including improvement and widening of approach roads to serve the collection booths SO Set up.
(2) There shall be provided at either end of the bridge, a cross bar for securing the stoppage of motor vehicles.
(3) The Officer authorised under sub-rule (1) or the private contractor shall ensure at the crossbar that passage is not allowed to motor vehicles unless the toll leviable in respect thereof has been paid.
(4) The provisions in the Kerala Public Works Department Code and the Kerala Financial