*THE KERALA LIVE-STOCK IMPROVEMENT ACT, 1961
'(ACT 17 of 1961, as amended by Act 28 of 1968)
An Act to provide for the improvement of live-stock in the State of Kerala
Preamble:- Whereas it is expedient to provide for the improvement of live-stock in the State of Kerala.
Be it enacted in the Twelfth year of the Republic of India as follows:-
1. Short title, extent and Commencement.-(1) This Act may be the Kerala Live-Stock improvement Act, 1961.
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Kerala.
(3) This section shall come into force at once, and the Government may, from time to time by notification in the Gazette, apply all or any of the remaining provisions of this Act to the whole or any portion of the State of Kerala from such date and for such period, if any, as may be specified in the notification, and may cancel or modify any such notification.
2. Definitions.- In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-
a) "bull” includes a buffalo-bull;
(b) "cow" includes a buffalo-Cow and heifer;
(c) "Director" means the officer appointed by the Government as the Director of Animal Husbandry for the State of Kerala and includes any other person on whom the powers or duties of the Director under this Act have been conferred or imposed under Section 3;
(d) "License" means a license granted under section 4;
(e) "Licensing Officer" means the Director or any other officer or person authorised to grant licensees under Section 4;
(f) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this act;
(g) a person is said to "keep a bull” if he owns the bull or has the bull in his possession or custody; and
(h) a bull is said to be "castrated" if it is rendered incapable of propagating its species.
3. Appointment of Director.- The Government may by general or special order confer or impose on any person all or any of the powers or duties of the Director under this Act.
4. Bulls which have attained a certain age to be licensed.- (1) No person shall keep a bull which has attained the prescribed age except under and in accordance with the terms, conditions and restrictions of a license granted under this section, unless it is certified by the prescribed officer that the bull has been effectively castrated by a method and in a manner approved by the Director.
Explanation:- Where a person keeps more than one bull, he shall, obtain a separate license in respect of each bull.
(2) Every license under this section shall be granted by the Director or any officer or person authorised by him by general or special order. It shall be in such form, for such period, and subject to such terms, conditions and restrictions as may be prescribed.