wherein any article or part of an article is made, repaired, altered, ornamented, finished or otherwise adapted for use on a commercial basis and not less than five persons are employed for that purpose for wages or any other remuneration.
Controlling Authorities and their powers
Public Health Board
4. Constitution of the Public Health Board
(1) As soon as may be after the commencement of this Act, the Government shall cause to be constituted for the State Public Health Board consisting of the following members, namely
(a) the Minister of Public Health;
(b) the Minister for Local Administration;
(c) three members of the Madras Legislature nominated by the Government;
(d) the Surgeon-General with the Government of Madras;
(e) the Director of Health Services
(f) the Sanitary Engineer; and
(g) one other officer of the Government nominated by the Government.
(2) Members nominated under clause (c) of sub-section (1) shall hold office for a period of one year from the date of nomination, but shall be eligible for re-nomination.
(3) The Minister for Public Health shall be the President of the Public Health Board and the Director of Health Services shall be its Secretary.
5. Functions of the Public Health Board
(1) The Public Health Board shall advice the Government on such matters as the Government may from time to time refer to it.
(2) The meetings of the Board and the mode of transaction of business at such meetings shall be governed by such regulations as may be framed by it.
(3) The proceedings of the Board shall not be invalidated by reason of any vacancy in the office of the President, the Secretary or a member.
Powers of the Government and of the Director of Health Services
6. Powers of the Government and of the Director of Health Services and his staff.
(1) The Government shall have power to inspect, control and superintend the operations of local authorities under this Act. (2) The Government may, from time to time, define the powers to be exercised and the duties to be performed by the Director of Health Services or any member of his staff for the purposes of sub-section (1)A
(3) Nothing contained in sub-sections (1) and (2) shall be deemed to affect, or derogate from, any powers possessed by the Government or the District Collector under any other law for the time being in force.
6A. Power of Government to direct the performance by district board of any function devolving on Panchayats.
(1) Government may, by notification, direct that in respect of any function to be performed by a local authority under this Act and specified in the notification, the district board and not the panchayat shall be the local authority in all or any areas in the district which are comprised within the jurisdiction of a panchayat.