Sec. 111 THE TRAVANCORE - COCHIN PUBLIC HEALTH ACT, 1955
108. Register of lodging houses.-
Every executive authority shall keep a register in which shall be entered (a) the full name and the place of residence of every person registered as the keeper of a lodging house; (b) the situation of every such lodging house; (c) the number of persons authorised to be received in the lodging house; and (d) the full names and the places of residence of any persons who are to act as deputies of the keeper of the lodging house.
109. Conditions of registration and of renewal of registration.-
(1) An executive authority on receiving from any person an application for registration, or for the renewal of his registration as a keeper of a lodging house and on payment by him of Such fee, if, any, as may be prescribed for the purpose, shall register the application in respect of the lodging house named in the application or renew his registration in respect thereof and issue to him a certificate of registration or of renewal of registration: Provided that the executive authority
(a) shall not register an applicant until the Health Officer has inspected the premises named in the application and has recommended such registration; and
(b) may refuse to register, or to renew the registration of an applicant if he is satisfied that(i) the applicant or any person employed or proposed to be employed by the applicant of the lodging house as a deputy or otherwise is not a fit person, whether by reason of age or otherwise, to keep or to be employed at a lodging house; or (ii) the premises are not suitable for use as a lodging house or are not, as regards sanitation and water supply and in other respects including means of escape in case of fire, suitably equipped for use as such; or (iii) the use of the premises as a lodging house is likely to occasion inconvenience or annoyance to persons residing in the neighborhood.
(2) The registration, or the renewal of the registration, of a person as the keeper of a lodging house shall expire at the end of the year for which it is granted unless, for special reasons, the executive authority considers that it should expire at an earlier date when it shall expire at such earlier date which shall be specified in the certificate of registration or of renewal of registration.
(3) If an executive authority refuses to grant or renew registration under this section, he shall deliver to the applicant a statement in writing of the grounds on which his application is refused.
(4) If at any time, a person registered as the keeper of a lodging house applies for the removal from the register of the name of any person entered therein as a deputy of the keeper or for the insertion therein of the name of any other person, being a person approved by the executive authority whom the keeper proposes to employ as a deputy, the executive authority shall alter the register accordingly and make any consequential alterations in the certificate of registration.
A person aggrieved by the refusal of an executive authority to grant or renew registration under section 109 may appeal to the local authority.
111. Rules for the upkeep and maintenance of lodging houses.-
The Government shall have power to make rules -
(a) for fixing the number of persons who may be received into a lodging house and for the separate accommodation of the sexes therein;
(b) for promoting cleanliness and ventilation in lodging houses and requiring the walls and ceilings thereof to be lime-washed or treated with some other suitable preparation at specified intervals;