THE TRAVANCORE - COCHIN PUBLIC HEALTH ACT, 1955
(Act XVI of 1955)
Amended by Acts 7 of 1980 and 16 of 2000
An Act to make provision for advancing the public health of the State of Travancore-Cochin.
Whereas it is expedient to make provision for advancing the public health of the State of Travancore-Cochin;
Be it enacted in the Sixth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
CHAPTER I Preliminary
1. Short title, extent and commencement.-
(1) This Act may be called The Travancore Cochin Public Health Act, 1955.
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Kerala, excluding the Malabar District.
(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Government may, by notification in the Gazette appoint.
In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context-
(1) "Building" includes
- (a) a house, out-house, stable, latrine, godown, shed, hut, wall (other than a boundary Wall not exceeding eight feet in height) and any other such structure, whether of masonry, bricks, wood, mud, metal or any other material whatsoever, but does not include temporary sheds put up on festive occasions;
- (b) a structure on wheels or simply resting on the ground without foundations; and
- (c) a ship, vessel, boat, tent, van and any other such structure used for human habitation;
- (2) "Canal" includes any river, inland navigation, lake or water-way being within or bordering the State, whether it is or is not within the ebb and flow of the tide;
- (3) "Canal boat" means any vessel however propelled which is used or capable of being used for the Conveyance of goods or passengers along a canal;
- (4) "Cattle” includes elephants, camels, mules, asses, horses, cows, bulls, bullocks, buffaloes, sheep, goats and pigs and the young one of these species;
- (5) "Dairy" includes-
- (a) any farm, cattle-shed, milk-store, milk-shop, or other place from which milk is sold or supplied for sale, or in which milk is kept for sale, or manufactured for sale into butter, ghee, cheese, cream, curds, butter-milk or dried, sterilized or condensed milk, and
- (b) in relation to a dairyman who does not occupy any premises for the sale of milk, any place in which he keeps the vessels used by him for the storage or sale of milk, but does not include-