Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page1171
7. Responsibility of Gram Panchayat.-(1) Every gram panchayat either on its own or by engaging an agency shall set up, operationalise and co-ordinate for waste management in the rural area under their control and for performing the associated functions, namely,
(a) ensuring segregation, collection, storage, transportation, plastic waste and channelization of recyclable plastic waste fraction to recyclers having valid registration; ensuring that no damage is caused to the environment during this process;
(b) creating awareness among all stakeholders about their responsibilities; and
(c) ensuring that open burning of plastic waste does not take place
8. Responsibility of waste generator.- (1) The waste generator shall. -
(a) take steps to minimize generation of plastic waste and segregate plastic waste at source in accordance with the Solid Waste Management Rules, 2000 or as amended from time to time.
(b) not litter the plastic waste and ensure segregated storage of waste at source and handover segregated waste to urban local body or gram panchayat or agencies appointed by them or registered waste pickers', registered recyclers or waste collection agencies;
(2) All institutional generators of plastic waste, shall segregate and store the waste generated by them in accordance with the Municipal Solid Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2000 notified vide S.O. 908(E) dated the 25th September, 2000 under the Act or amendment from time to time and handover segregated wastes to authorized waste processing or disposal facilities or deposition centers either on its own or through the authorized waste collection agency
(3) All waste generators shall pay such user fee or charge as may be specified in the byelaws of the local bodies for plastic waste management such as waste collection or operation of the facility thereof, etc.;
(4) Every person responsible for organising an event in open space, which involves service of food stuff in plastic or multilayered packaging shall segregate and manage the waste generated during such events in accordance with the Municipal Solid Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2000 notified vide S.O. 908(E) dated the 25th September, 2000 under the Act or amendment from time to time.
9. Responsibility of producers, Importers and Brand Owners.- (1) The producers, within a period of six months from the date of publication of these rules, shall work out modalities for waste collection system based on Extended Producers Responsibility and involving State Urban Development Departments, either individually or collectively, through their own distribution channel or through the local body concerned.
(2) Primary responsibility for collection of used multi-layered plastic sachet or pouches or packaging is of Producers, Importers and Brand Owners who introduce the products in the market. They need to establish a system for collecting back the plastic waste generated due to their products. This plan of collection to be submitted to the State Pollution Control Boards while applying for Consent to Establish or Operate or Renewal. The Brand Owners whose consent has been renewed before the notification of these rules shall submit such plan within one year from the date of notification of these rules and implement with two years thereafter.
(3) manufacture and use of non-recyclable multilayered plastic if any should be phased out in Two years time.
(4) The producer, within a period of three months from the date of final publication of these rules in the Official Gazette shall apply to the Pollution Control Board or the Pollution Control Committee, as the case may be, of the States or the Union Territories administration concerned, for grant of registration.