Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page1135
side walk, footpath, pavement, public park or any other public place or private area, from a temporary built up structure or by moving from place to place and includes hawker, peddler, squatter and all other synonymous terms which may be local or region specific; and the words "street vending" with their grammatical variations and cognate expressions, shall be construed accordingly;
50. "tipping fee" means a fee or support price determined by the local authorities or any state agency authorised by the State government to be paid to the concessionaire or operator of waste processing facility or for disposal of residual solid waste at the landfill;
51. "transfer station" means a facility created to receive solid waste from collection areas and transport in bulk in covered vehicles or containers to waste processing and, or, disposal facilities;
52. "transportation" means conveyance of solid waste, either treated, partly treated or untreated from a location to another location in an environmentally sound manner through specially designed and covered transport system so as to prevent the foul odour, littering and unsightly conditions;
53. "treatment" means the method, technique or process designed to modify physical, chemical or biological characteristics or composition of any waste so as to reduce its volume and potential to cause harm;
54. "user fee" means a fee imposed by the local body and any entity mentioned in rule 2 on the waste generator to cover full or part cost of providing solid waste collection, transportation, processing and disposal services.
55. "vermi composting" means the process of conversion of bio-degradable waste into compost using earth worms;
56. "waste generator" means and includes every person or group of persons, every residential premises and non residential establishments including Indian Railways, defense establishments, which generate solid waste;
57. "waste hierarchy" means the priority order in which the solid waste is to should be managed by giving emphasis to prevention, reduction, reuse, recycling, recovery and disposal, with prevention being the most preferred option and the disposal at the landfill being the least;
58. "waste picker" means a person or groups of persons informally engaged in collection and recovery of reusable and recyclable solid waste from the source of waste generation the streets, bins, material recovery facilities, processing and waste disposal facilities for sale to recyclers directly or through intermediaries to earn their livelihood.
(2) Words and expressions used herein but not defined, but defined in the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974, Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Cess Act, 1977 and the Air (prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 shall have the same meaning as assigned to them in the respective Acts.
4. Duties of waste generators.-(1) Every waste generator shall,—
(a) segregate and store the waste generated by them in three separate streams namely bio-degradable, non biodegradable and domestic hazardous wastes in suitable bins and hand over segregated wastes to authorised waste pickers or waste collectors as per the direction or notification by the local authorities from time to time;
(b) wrap securely the used sanitary waste like diapers, sanitary pads etc., in the pouches provided by the manufacturers or brand owners of these products or in a suitable wrapping material as instructed by the local authorities and shall place the same in the bin meant for dry waste or non-bio-degradable waste;