Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0916
(3) All transactions pertaining to the Panchayat shall be recorded in the Books of Accounts maintained.
4. Books of Accounts. (1) The primary Books of Accounts and supporting documents under the double entry accounting system shall be:
(a) Cash Book;
(b) Bank Book;
(c) Journal Book:
(d) General Ledger and Sub ledger; and
(2) The Books of Accounts, Forms and Registers shall be maintained either in Malayalam or English
(3) Wherever the books of accounts are maintained manually, the Books of Accounts, Registers, Receipts, Bill Books and other Accounting Records and Registers shall be affixed with the seal of the Panchayat and each of the pages of the aforesaid records shall be serially numbered. The number of pages of each Book or Register shall be certified on the last page, after actual verification, by the Secretary or any other person duly authorized by him.
5. Cash Book. (1) The Cash Book shall be maintained by the Accountant and shall record the transactions pertaining to cash receipts and cash disbursements of the Panchavat.
(2) All amounts received in cash by the Panchayat including cash withdrawals from Bank or Treasury shall be entered on the debit side of the Cash Book. All payments in cash, including cash remittances into the Bank/Treasury, shall be recorded on the credit side of the Cash Book. (3) The Cash Book shall be closed daily, the totals for the end of the day struck and the closing balance worked out with details to show unremitted and undisbursed cash, if any
(4) The Secretary shall examine the entries and the closing balance in the Cash Book and affix his signature in token of such examination at the end of each day. The cash balance on hand with the Cashier shall be verified with the Cash Book balance at the end of each day and a certificate to that effect shall be recorded in the Cash Book by the Secretary or any officer authorised by the Secretary in this regard.
6. Bank Book. (1) The Bank Book shall be maintained by the Accountant and shall record all amounts deposited or withdrawn, in Cash, Cheque or other means from Bank/Treasury Accounts.
(2) The following items of Receipts shall be accounted on the debit side of the Bank Book;
(a) The total amount of Cash collection remitted in to Bank/Treasury Accounts;
(b) The total amount of Cheques deposited in to Bank/Treasury Accounts
(c) Amounts remitted or received directly in the Bank/Treasury Accounts including Letters of Authority, RTGS, Electronic Transfer etc.;
(d) Any other collections, Demand Drafts, Letters of Authority, etc., received in the Bank/ Treasury Accounts
(3) All withdrawals and payments from the Bank/Treasury Accounts shall be accounted on the credit side of the respective Bank Book.
(4) The Bank Book shall be closed at the end of each day, the totals for the day struck and the closing balance worked out with details to show the balance in Bank/Treasury Accounts, as per the Books of Accounts.