Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0634
- THE KERALA PANCHAYAT RAJ (CONSTRUCTION & MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC LATRINES, URINALS, BATHING PLACES & SANITATION OF PRIVATE PREMISES) RULES,1998
S.R.O. No. 334/98.— In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 219 of the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994) read with clauses (xxi) and (xxxiv) of sub-section (2) of Section 254 thereof, the Government of Kerala hereby make the following rules, namely:
1. Short title and commencement. — (1) These rules may be called the Kerala Panchayat Raj (Construction and Maintenance of Public Latrines, Urinals, Bathing Places and Sanitation of Private Premises) Rules, 1998.
(2) They shall come into force at once. 2. Definitions. --In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires - (a) 'Act' means the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994);
(b) 'Panchayat means a Village Panchayat constituted under clause (a) of sub-section (1) of Section 4;
(c) 'Secretary' means the Secretary of the Village Panchayat;
(d) 'Section' means a Section of the Act;
(e) Words and expressions used and not defined in these rules, but defined in the Act shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Act.
3. Providing of Public latrines. The Panchayat shall provide and maintain sufficient number of public latrines in proper and convenient places and shall cause the same to be cleaned daily and kept in proper condition.
4. Issue of licence for public latrines.--(1) The Panchayat may issue licence for providing and maintaining latrines for public use for any period not exceeding one year.
(2) No person shall keep public latrine without a license issued under sub-rule (1).
(3) Any person having license for a public latrine shall keep the latrine clean and in proper condition.
5. Providing of latrines by owner or occupier.— (1) The Panchayat may, by notice, require the owner or occupier of a building, within the time as may be specified in such notice, to provide a latrine or alter or remove from an unsuitable place to a more suitable place any existing latrine in accordance with the directions contained in such notice, for the use of the persons employed in or near that building or residing in such building and to keep it clean and in proper condition.