Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0589
9. Licensing of private markets.—
(1) (i) An application for licence to continue an existing private market or to open a new private market shall be made to the Panchayat in Form No. Il affixed with a Court fee stamp of Rupees Five.
(ii) Every such application shall be accompanied by a sketch showing the number and location of shops and the location of stalls, open spaces, the approaches, entrances, exits, passages, drains, footpaths, latrines and urinals.
(iii) A statement showing the total income received by the owner from the market for the previous year or for a continuous period of total twelve months preceding the date of application shall be submitted along with the application for licence to continue an existing private market.
(iv) The applicant shall, along with the application for opening a new market, deposit the amount fixed by the Panchayat for meeting the expenses for publication of the notice as per clause (v) and applications submitted without such deposit shall be rejected.
(v) A Panchayat shall, before passing a resolution to issue a licence to open a new private market, affix a notice in the notice board of the Panchayat and in any conspicuous space in each constituency of the Panchayat requiring the public to raise objections in this regard, if any, in writing within thirty days and publish the fact of such affixture in a newspaper published in the chief language of the region having wide circulation in the Panchayat area and shall consider objections, if any, received within the period specified.
(vi) The Panchayat shall, before issuing a licence to open a new private market, observe the procedures specified in sub-rule (2) of Rule 3 and in the case of a live-stock market, observe the procedures specified in sub-rule (3) of Rule 3 also.
(2) The applicant shall, in case the Panchayat decides to issue licence to open a new private market, remit the licence fee fixed by the Panchayat under sub-section (4) of Section 222 and the Secretary shall, after remittance of such fee, issue licence, signed by him, in Form No. III.
(3) The applicant shall, in case the Panchayat does not refuse to renew the licence to continue an existing private market under clause (b) of sub-section (2) of Section 222, remit the licence fee fixed by the Panchayat under sub-section (4) of the said section and the Secretary shall, after remittance of such fee, issue licence, signed by him in Form No. III.
(4) Licence for evening market shall be given in Form No. III free of charges. No market fee shall be levied in the evening markets so sanctioned and Rules 11 and 18 of these rules shall be applicable to them.
(5) Each licence granted under this rule shall expire at the end of the financial year in respect of which licence has been granted.