Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0586
THE KERALA PANCHAYAT RAJ (ISSUANCE OF LICENCE AND CONTROL OF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE MARKETS) RULES, 1996
S.R.O. No. 570/96.— In exercise of the powers conferred by Sections 221, 222 and 223 of the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994) read with clauses (xix) and (xli) of sub-section (2) of Section 254 thereof, the Government of Kerala hereby make the following rules, namely:
1. Short title and commencement.-
(1) These rules may be called the Kerala Panchayat Raj (Issuance of Licence and Control of Public and Private Markets) Rules, 1996.
(2) They shall come into force at once. 2. Definitions.- In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires - T (a) 'Act' means the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994); (b) 'Form' means a form appended to these rules;
(c) 'Panchayat' means a Village Panchayat constituted under clause (a) of sub-section (1) of Section 4;
(d) 'President' means the President of a Village Panchayat; (e) 'Secretary' means the Secretary, of a Village Panchayat; (f) 'Section' means a section of the Act;
(g) Words and expressions used and not defined in these rules, but defined in the Act shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Act.
3. Providing public markets.-
(1) A Panchayat shall, before passing any resolution to provide places for using as a new public market or to close any existing public market or part thereof, affix a notice in the Notice Board of the Panchayat and in any conspicuous place in each constituency of the Panchayat, requiring the public to raise objections in this regard, if any, in writing, within thirty days and publish the fact of such affixture in a newspaper published in the chief language of the region, having wide circulation in the Panchayat area and shall consider the objections, if any, received within the period specified.
(2) The Panchayat shall, before providing a public market, obtain the opinion of the District Medical Officer regarding the public health problems which may arise by the opening of such a market at that place.
(3) The Panchayat shall, before providing a live-stock market, inform the District Veterinary Officer of the location proposed to be so provided, area of the site, description of species of cattle brought for sale, the facilities proposed to be provided for cattle and obtain his opinion in that regard.
4. Setting apart of separate stalls for particular commodities.-
It shall be competent to the Panchayat in the case of public markets and the licensee in the case of a private market to set apart separate stalls or open spaces or both, for each of the items such as vegetable, poultry, cattle, fish, meat etc.