Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0104
(ii) before each by-election to fill a casual vacancy in a seat allotted to the constituency;
(b) shall be revised in any year in the prescribed manner by reference to the qualifying date if such revision has been directed by the State Election Commission:
Provided that if the electoral roll is not revised as aforesaid, the validity or continued operation of the said electoral roll shall not thereby be affected.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (2) the State Election Commission may at any time, for reasons to be recorded, direct a special revision of the electoral roll for any constituency or part of a constituency in such manner as it may think fit:
Provided that subject to the other provisions of this Act, the electoral roll for the constituency, as in force at the time of the issue of any such direction, shall continue to be in force until the completion of the special revision so directed.
23. Correction of entries in electoral rolls. If the electoral registration officer for a constituency, on application made to him or on his own motion, is satisfied, after such inquiry as he thinks fit, that any entry in the electoral roll of the constituency of a Panchayat, -
(a) is erroneous or defective in any particular; or
(b) should be transposed to another place in the roll on the ground that the person concerned has changed his place of ordinary residence within the constituency; or
(c) should be deleted on the ground that the person concerned is dead or has ceased to be ordinarily resident in the constituency or is otherwise not entitled to be registered in that roll, the electoral registration officer shall, subject to such general, or special directions, if any, given by the State Election Commission in this behalf, amend, transpose or delete the entry:
Provided that before taking any action on any ground under clause (a) or clause (b) or any action under clause (c) on the ground that the person concerned has ceased to be ordinarily resident in the constituency or that he is otherwise not entitled to be registered in the electoral roll of that constituency, the electoral registration officer shall give the person concerned a reasonable opportunity of being heard in respect of the action proposed to be taken in relation to him.
24. Inclusion of names in electoral rolls.- (1) Any person whose name is not included in the electoral roll of a constituency may apply to the electoral registration officer for the inclusion of his name in that roll.
(2) The electoral registration officer shall, if satisfied that the applicant is entitled to be registered in the electoral roll of that constituency, direct in writing that his name be included therein: Provided that if the applicant is registered in the electoral roll of any other constituency, the electoral registration officer shall inform the electoral registration officer of that other constituency and that officer shall, on receipt of the information, strike off the applicant's name from that roll.
(3) No amendment, transposition or deletion of any entry shall be made under Section 23 and no direction for the inclusion of a name in the electoral roll of a constituency shall