Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0103
19. No person to be registered more than once in any constituency.- No person shall be entitled to be registered in the electoral roll for any constituency more than once.
20. Conditions of registration.— Subject to the foregoing provisions of this chapter, every person who,
(a) is not less than eighteen years of age on the qualifying date; and
(b) is ordinarily resident in a constituency, shall be entitled to be registered in the electoral roll for that constituency.
21. Meaning of 'ordinarily resident'.- (1) A person shall not be deemed to be ordinarily resident in a constituency on the ground only that he owns, or is in possession of, a dwelling house therein.
(2) A person absenting himself temporarily from his place of ordinary residence shall not by reason thereof cease to be ordinarily resident therein.
(3) A Member of Parliament or of the State Legislature or President or Vice-President of a Panchayat at any level shall not during the term of his office cease to be ordinarily resident in the constituency, in the electoral roll of which he is registered as an elector, at the time of his election as such member, or President or Vice-President by reason only of his absence from that constituency in connection with his duties as such member or President or Vice-President, as the case may be.
(4) A person who is a patient in any establishment maintained wholly or mainly for the reception and treatment of persons suffering from mental illness or mental defectiveness, or who is detained in prison or other legal custody at any place, shall not by reason thereof only be deemed to be ordinarily resident therein.
(5) If in any case a question arises as to whether a person is ordinarily resident at a place at any relevant time, the question shall be determined by the Election Commission with reference to all the facts of the case and to such rules as may be made in this behalf.
46A[21A. Special provision for the non-resident Indians to get themselves registered in the electoral roll.— Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in other provisions of this Chapter, any citizen of India as mentioned in Section 20A of the Representation of the People Act, 1950 (Central Act 43 of 1950) shall be entitled to get himself registered as an elector in the electoral roll of the constituency in which his place of residence in India as indicated in his passport is situated.]
22. Preparation and revision of electoral rolls.- (1) The electoral roll for each constituency in a Village Panchayat shall be prepared in the prescribed manner by reference to the qualifying date and shall come into force immediately upon its final publication in accordance with the rules made under this Act.
(2) The said electoral roll,OPERA (a) shall, unless otherwise directed by the State Election Commission for reasons to be recorded in writing, be revised in the prescribed manner by reference to the qualifying date
(i) before each general election to a Panchayat at any level; and