the scheme appended to this Government Order. The collection of service charges will not be subject to levy of entertainment tax and additional entertainment tax and hence amendment to Kerala Local Authorities Entertainment Tax Act, 1961 is not necessary. Service charge will be indicated as such separately in the admission tickets issued for entry in Cinema Theatres. This order will come into effect with immediate effect.
(1). The Service charge for the cinematickets will be revised at the rates detailed below:
- 1. For tickets upto Rs. 3/-Nil.
- 2. Above Rs.3/- and upto Rs. 5/-....... 25 paise.
- 3. From Rs. 5/- and upto Rs. 10/-.......50 paise.
- 4. Above Rs.10/-............ 1/- rupee.
- Out of the amount of service charges so Collected asper the above rates the theatre Owners should remit a total amount of Rs. 75/- lakhs per annum to a newly formed fund of the Government to be operated by the Cultural Affairs Department. The amount of Rs. 75 lakhs to be remitted annually by the theatre owners will be deposited annually by the Local Administration Department from their budget provision initially and the local Administration Department in turn will realise the above amount of Rs.75 lakhs from the annual grant given to various local bodies. The local bodies in turn shall Collect the amount so realised from their annual grant from the theatre owners at the time of issuing/renewing licences at the time of giving or renewing licences the local authority should give a specific receipt to the theatre owner for remitting this amount. They should be given a certificate to the effect that they have paid their share.
(2). The fund so constituted will be utilised for the development of film industry and for the welfare of Cinema Artists in distress (Groo (so onslotiloo coelodeocooô006). A society will be formed by the Government exclusively for the administration of the above fund. In the society a nominee of Kerala Film Chamber of Commerce will be included. The theatre owners will utilise the service charge collected at the above rates minus their share remitted to the above mentioned fund for the following purposes.
- (1) In the A.C. Theatres the A/C should be maintained well and adequate UPS systems should be kept.
- (2) The up-keep of the theatres including the toilet should be in a very finemanner and should not cause any inconvenience to the public concerned. Thetheatres are to be made aware that the sanction for Collecting the service charges is given by the Government to help the theatre owners to have proper up-keep of the theatre and also keep the houses in the most hygienic way.
- (3) The Health Department of the local bodies will have the authority to have periodical Inspections and to see that the theatres are maintained properly.
- (4) If it comes to the notice of local bodies or Government that the theatre owners are not utilising the service charge allotted to them for the purpose for which it is levied exemplary penalties including cancellation of licences will be clamped. Rules for this may be issued by Local Administration Department.
- The Committee on Decentralisation of Powers, in Vol. ill-Part A of its Final Report dealing with "Strengthening of Professional and Ministerial Support to Local Governments' has stated that even after deployment of staff there would be some additional work in local governments and has suggested measures to take care of this additional work.
Government have examined the suggestions in detail and are pleased to order as follows:
(1)The departmental units transferred to the local governments would do the processing of various cases and projects related to their area of functioning, maintain accounts, prepare progress reports and do related works.