5. Exemption.- No toll shall be payable for the passage of-
(a) any motor vehicle belonging to the Government of Kerala or the Government of India; and
(b) any stage carriage operated by the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation.)
6. Assistance by police officers.- All police officers shall be bound to assist the toll collectors. When required, in the execution of this Act, and for that purpose shall have the same power which they have in the exercise of their ordinary police duties.
7. Power to compound tolls- Any person entrusted with the management and collection of the toll may compound for any period not exceeding one year with any person for a certain sum to be paid by such person for himself or for any motor vehicle kept by him, in lieu of the rates of toll authorised to be levied under this Act, subject to such conditions and restrictions as may be
8. Penalties.- (1) Every person, other than any person appointed to collect toll, who levies or demands any toll on any bridge shall, on conviction by a Magistrate, be liable to imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to two hundred rupees, or with both.
(2) Every person who unlawfully demands or takes any other or higher toll than the lawful toll, or under the colour of this Act seize or sells any property knowing such seizure or sale to be unlawful, or in any manner unlawfully extorts money or any valuable thing from any person under colour of this Act, shall, on conviction by a Magistrate, be liable to imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to two hundred rupees, or with both.
(a) attempts to Cross any bridge without paying the toll payable by him under this Act; or
(b) obstructs any officer or other person in the discharge of his duties imposed by or under this Act, shall, on conviction by a Magistrate, be liable to a fine which may extend to one hundred rupees.
(4) No Magistrate shall take cognisance of any offence under this Act except on a complaint in Writing made by an officer authorised by the Government in this behalf.
9. Exhibition of table of tolls and statement of penalties.- A table of the tolls authorised to be taken in respect of a bridge shall be put upon a conspicuous place near the entrance to such bridge legibly written or printed in English words and figures and also in those of the regional language.
10. Bar to proceedings.- No suit, prosecution or other legal proceeding shall be against any officer or other person for anything which is in good faith done or intended to be done under
11. Power to make rules.- (1) The Government may, by notification in the Gazette, make rules for the purpose of carrying into effect the provisions of this Act.
(2) In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such rules may provide for
(a) determination of the rate of levy of the toll;
(b) method of collection of the toll;
(c) any other matter which has to be, or may be, prescribed