An Act to provide for the regulation of exhibitions by means of cinematograph in the State of Kerala.
Preamble:- Whereas it is expedient to provide for the regulation of exhibitions by means of cinematographs in the State of Kerala;
Be it enacted in the Nineth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
1. Short title, extent and commencement.— (1) This Act may be called the Kerala Cinemas (Regulation) Act, 1958.
(2) It extends to the whole of the State of Kerala.
(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Government may, by notification appoint.
2. Definitions. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,–
(1) "Cinematograph" includes any apparatus for the representation of moving pictures or series of pictures;
(1 A) “Local Authority" means a village Panchayat constituted under section 4 of the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994) or a Municipality constituted under section 4 of the Kerala Municipality Act, 1994 (20 of 1994) as the case may be;"
(2) “Notification" means a notification published in the Gazette;
(3) "Place" includes a house, building, tent and any description of transport, whether by water, land or air;
(4) “Prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(5) "State" means the State of Kerala.
3. Cinematograph exhibitions to be licensed.-' Save as otherwise provided in this Act, no person shall give an exhibition by means of a cinematograph elsewhere than in a place licensed under this Act, or otherwise than in compliance with any conditions and restrictions imposed by such licence.
4. Licensing authority.— The authority having power to grant a licence under this Act (hereinafter referred to as the licensing authority) shall be the Secretary of the local authority within whose jurisdiction the place in respect of which the licence is to be granted is situate:
Provided that the Government may, by notification, constitute for the whole or any part of the State such other authority as they may specify in the notification to be the licensing authority for the purposes of this Act.
5. Restrictions on powers of licensing authority.– (1) The licensing authority shall, in deciding whether to grant or refuse a licence, have regard to the following matters, namely:-
(a) the interest of the public generally,