- 1 CHAPTER II - Controlling Authorities and their Powers
- 2 3. Appointment of Director of Health Services and Health Officers.-
- 3 4. Powers of the Government and of the Director of Health Services.--
- 4 5. Powers of the Director of Health Services to advice local authorities.-
- 5 6. Public Health staff in local areas.-
- 6 7. Appointment or nomination of Health Officer.-
- 7 8. Appointment of temporary Health Officers in emergencies.-
CHAPTER II - Controlling Authorities and their Powers
3. Appointment of Director of Health Services and Health Officers.-
For the purpose of giving effect to the provisions of this Act, the Government may, from time to time, appoint a "Director of Health Services) and subject to the provisions hereinafter contained appoint Health Officers for all or any of the purposes of this Act.
4. Powers of the Government and of the Director of Health Services.--
(1) The Government shall have power to inspect, control, and superintend the operations of local authorities under this Act.
(2) The Government may from time to time, define the powers to be exercised, and the duties to be performed by the Director of Health Services or any member of his staff for the purposes of sub-section (1).
(3) Nothing Contained in sub-sections (1) and (2) shall be deemed to affect, or derogate from, any powers possessed by the Government or the Collectors or the Director of Health Services under any other law for the time being in force.
The "Director of Health Services from time to time, as occasion requires, recommend for adoption, by any local authority, Such measures as may be necessary for improving the Public Health administration in the local area, or for safeguarding the public health therein:
Provided that if on account of financial or other reasons, any local authority is unable to carry out such measures or if there is any difference of opinion between the local authority and the Director, the matter shall be referred to the Government whose decision shall be final.
6. Public Health staff in local areas.-
(1) The public health establishment of every local authority shall be of such strength as the Government may, from time to time, direct.
(2) The Government may, from time to time, make regulations prescribing the qualifications for appointment to the various posts in the public health establishment of local authorities.
7. Appointment or nomination of Health Officer.-
(1) Every village Panchayat and Municipality shall have a Health Officer;
(2) Where in the area of village panchayat or municipality there is no Health Officer posted, the Government may nominate a medical officer serving in any health institution under the control of the village panchayat or municipality, as the case may be, to function as the Health Officer exofficio of that village Panchayat or municipality:
Provided that if no such medical officer as aforesaid is available for nomination the Government may nominate a medical officer under the Control of a nearby village Panchayat or municipality to function as the Health Officer ex-officio
8. Appointment of temporary Health Officers in emergencies.-
(1) In the event of the prevalence or threatened outbreak of any infectious disease in any local area, or of any unusual mortality therein, the Government may, by order, appoint temporarily for such period as may be specified therein one or more additional Health Officers for the treatment of such infectious disease and preventing it from spreading, or for investigating the cause of and preventing such mortality, as the case may be.