Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page1132
3. "authorisation" means the permission given by the State Pollution Control Board or Pollution Control Committee, as the case may be, to the operator of a facility or urban local authority, or any other agency responsible for processing and disposal of solid waste;
4. "biodegradable waste" means any organic material that can be degraded by microorganisms into simpler stable compounds;
5. "bio-methanation" means a process which entails enzymatic decomposition of the organic matter by microbial action to produce methane rich biogas;
6. “brand owner" means a person or company who sells any commodity under a registered brand label.
7. "buffer zone" means zone of no development to be maintained around solid waste processing and disposal facility, exceeding 5 TPD of installed capacity. This will be maintained within total and area allotted for the solid waste processing and disposal facility.
8. "bulk waste generator” means and includes buildings occupied by the Central government departments or undertakings, State government departments or undertakings, local bodies, public sector undertakings or private companies, hospitals, nursing homes, schools, colleges, universities, other educational institutions, hostels, hotels, commercial establishments, markets, places of Worship, stadium and sports complexes having an average waste generation rate exceeding 100 kg per day;
9. "bye-laws" means regulatory framework notified by local body, census town and notified area townships for facilitating the implementation of these rules effectively in their jurisdiction.
10. "census town" means an urban area as defined by the Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India;
11. "combustible waste" means non-biodegradable, non-recyclable, non-reusable, non hazardous solid waste having minimum calorific value exceeding 1500 kcal/kg and excluding chlorinated materials like plastic, wood pulp, etc;
12. "composting" means a controlled process involving microbial decomposition of organic matter;
13. "contractor" means a person or firm that undertakes a contract to provide materials or labour to perform a service or do a job for service providing authority;
14. "co-processing" means use of non-biodegradable and non recyclable solid waste having calorific value exceeding 1500k/cal as raw material or as a source of energy or both to replace or supplement the natural mineral resources and fossil fuels in industrial processes;
15. "decentralised processing" means establishment of dispersed facilities for maximizing the processing of biodegradable waste and recovery of recyclables closest to the source of generation so as to minimize transportation of waste for processing or disposal;
16. "disposal" means the final and safe disposal of post processed residual solid waste and inert street sweepings and silt from surface drains on land as specified in Schedule I to prevent contamination of ground water, surface water, ambient air and attraction of animals or birds;
17. "domestic hazardous waste" means discarded paint drums, pesticide cans, CFL bulbs, tube lights, expired medicines, broken mercury thermometers, used batteries, used needles and syringes and contaminated gauge, etc., generated at the household level;
18. "door to door collection" means collection of solid waste from the door step of households, shops, commercial establishments, offices, institutional or any other non residential premises and includes collection of such waste from entry gate or a designated location on the