Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0704
THE KERALA PANCHAYAT RAJ (PREPARATION OF CITIZENS CHARTER) RULES, 2004 THE KERALA PANCHAYAT RAJ (PREPARATION OF CITIZENS CHARTER) RULES, 2004
=== S.R.O. No. 627/2004. - In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 272 A of the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994), read with Section 254, thereof, the Government of Kerala make the following rules, namely:
1. Short title and commencement.—
(1) These rules may be called the Kerala Panchayat Raj (Preparation of Citizens Charter) Rules, 2004.
(2) This shall come into force at once. 2. Definitions.-(1) In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires
(a) 'Act' means the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994);
(b) 'Citizens Charter' means a statement, approved and published by the Panchayat, describing the services voluntarily offered to be made available time bound by the Panchayat, to the Citizens residing in the Panchayat area and as such entitled to them and the conditions and the time limit under which the same shall be made available;
(c) 'Ombudsman' means the Ombudsman for the Local Self Government Institutions constituted under Section 271 G of the Act;
(d) 'Panchayat' means a Grama Panchayat or a Block Panchayat or a District Panchayat;
(e) 'Panchayat area' means land area coming under the administrative control of a Panchayat;
(f) 'Service' means an assistance that a Panchayat may render citizen either free of cost or by realising a reasonable fee for improving his living conditions and includes the granting of financial assistance and the issue of permit, licence or certificate for any purpose.
(2) Words and expressions used, but not defined in these rules, but defined in the Act shall have the meanings, respectively assigned to them in the Act.
3. Preparation of Citizens Charter.
— (1) After the constitution of the Panchayat following the General Election, the Panchayat shall as soon as may be but not later than a period of six months therefrom, meet, discus and decide as to whatever services the Panchayat may be able to make available time bound, to the Citizens residing in the Panchayat area and as to what conditions a Citizen shall have to fulfill for getting such a service and also as to what shall be the time limit to make available the said service:
Provided that the Panchayats, wherein elected Committees are in existence at the time when these Rules come into force, shall, as soon as may be, but not later than six months from the date of coming into force of these Rules, prepare and publish the Citizens Charter under these Rules.
(2) The Panchayat shall, before taking a decision under sub-rule (1), seek the views of the secretary of the Panchayat and other Officers concerned and shall consider the factors like availability of Officials, sufficiency of fund etc