Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0584
THE KERALA PANCHAYAT RAJ (DUTIES TO BE EXERCISED BY THE VILLAGE OFFICERS) RULES, 1996*
[Translation in English of the Kerala Panchayat Raj (Duties to be exercised by the Village Officers) Rules, 1996, published under the authority of the Governor.] S.R.O. No. 484/96.- In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 242 of the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994) read with Section 254 thereof, the Government of Kerala hereby make the following rules, namely:
1. Short title and commencement.-
(1) These rules may be called the Kerala Panchayat Raj (Duties to be exercised by the Village Officers) Rules, 1996. (2) They shall come into force at once. I 2009
In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires,
(a) 'Act' means the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994);
(b) 'Panchayat' means a Village Panchayat, Block Panchayat or District Panchayat;
(c) ‘President' means the President of a Village Panchayat, Block Panchayat or the District Panchayat, as the case may be;
(d) 'Secretary' means the Secretary of a Village Panchayat, Block Panchayat or District Panchayat, as the case may be;
(e) Words and expressions used and not defined in these rules but defined in the Act shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Act.
3. Power to call for information from Village Officers.-
(1) The Secretary may, with the approval of the panchayat, require in writing, the Village Officer of any revenue village in the Panchayat area, to furnish within a specified period,
(i) the information regarding any property comprised the Village or any part thereof, its survey number, sub-division number, extent and whether it is dry or wet and the owner, holder or occupier, available as per village records; and
(ii) any other particulars required for the administration of the Panchayat and available from the registers and accounts maintained in the village.
(2) The Village Officer shall furnish the information required by the Secretary under sub-rule (1) within the specified period and if the information cannot be furnished within a specified time limit, the Secretary shall once again extend the time limit and if the Village Officer is not furnishing