Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0567
- 1 *THE KERALA PANCHAYAT RAJ (SLAUGHTER HOUSES AND MEAT STALLS) RULES, 1996
- 1.1 RULES
- 1.1.1 1. Short title and commencement.—
- 1.1.2 3. Public to be informed of the prohibition of slaughtering of animals except in a public or licenced slaughter house. -
- 1.1.3 4. Separate slaughter house for slaughter of pigs.—
- 1.1.4 5. The slaughter houses to be away from dwelling places and public road.-
- 1.1 RULES
*THE KERALA PANCHAYAT RAJ (SLAUGHTER HOUSES AND MEAT STALLS) RULES, 1996
S.R.O.No. 289/96.- In exercise of the powers conferred by Sections, 229, 230, 231 of the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994) read with Section 254 thereof the Government of Kerala hereby make the following rules, namely:
1. Short title and commencement.—
(1) These rules may be called the Kerala Panchayat Raj (Slaughter Houses and Meat Stalls) Rules, 1996.
(2) They shall come into force at once. 2. Definitions.- In these rules unless the context otherwise requires - (a) 'Act' means the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994); (b) 'Secretary' means secretary of a Village Panchayat;
(c) 'Examining Authority' means the Public Health Officer or the Sanitary Inspector of a Village Panchayat or in the absence of such officer, the Public Health Officer or the Sanitary Inspector of the neighbouring Municipality or Municipal Corporation or any other officer of the Health Services or Animal Husbandry Department authorised by the Government in this behalf "[and includes the Veterinary Surgeon of the Animal Husbandry department of the respective Village Panchayat area];
(d) 'Form' means form appended to these rules;
(e) Words and expressions used and not defined in these rules, but defined in the Act shall have the meaning respectively assigned to them in the Act. only
3. Public to be informed of the prohibition of slaughtering of animals except in a public or licenced slaughter house. -
It shall be made known to the public by the Secretary by putting up notices and through loud speakers that no person shall slaughter within a Village Panchayat area except in a public or licenced slaughter house any cattle, horse, goat, sheep or pig for sale as food or to skin or cut up any carcass without or otherwise than in conformity with a licence from the Village Panchayat or dry or permit to be dried any skin in such a manner as to cause nuisance ?[after such notice no person shall act contrary to that].
4. Separate slaughter house for slaughter of pigs.—
There shall be separate slaughter houses or places for slaughtering pigs. Such slaughter houses or places shall be at least 90 metres away from the ordinary slaughter houses or places and there shall be no communication between them.
5. The slaughter houses to be away from dwelling places and public road.-
A slaughter house shall not be within 90 metres of any dwelling house or within 150 meters from