Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0538
*THE KERALA PANCHAYAT RAJ (CONTRACT) RULES, 1996 [Translation in English of the Kerala Panchayat Raj (Contract) Rules, 1996
[ published under the authority of the Governor.]
S.R.O. No. 63/1996.—In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (ix) of Section 254 of the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act (13 of 1994), the Government of Kerala, hereby make the following rules, namely:
1. Short title and commencement.- (1) These rules may be called the Kerala Panchayat Raj (Contract) Rules, 1996.
(2) They shall come into force at once.
.- In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires,(a) “Act" means the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 (13 of 1994);
(b) Words and expressions used and not defined in these rules, but defined in the Act shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Act.
3. General conditions in respect of Contracts.-
(1) A Panchayat may enter into and perform all contracts that it deems necessary or proper for implementing the provisions of the Act.
(2) The Panchayat shall follow the following conditions for the execution of the public works and other works which have been entrusted with, and are carried out by the Panchayat as per the provisions of the Act,
(i) The Panchayat Committee shall discuss, as to whether a work may be executed on contract or not and as regards the works proposed to be executed on contract and the President shall take further action on the basis of the majority decision of the Committee.
(ii) The Secretary shall, under the written orders of the President, invite tenders for the Panchayat and take follow up action thereto.
(iii) The Committee shall take decision in respect of entrusting a work in the name of a person or an institution.
(iv) The President may, in accordance with the decision of the Committee, authorise the Secretary in writing for signing a contract on behalf of the Panchayat.
(v) The deed of contract shall be in stamp paper as mentioned in the relevant section of the Kerala Stamp Act, 1959.
(vi) The Secretary shall, if the Contractor fails to complete the work within the stipulated period or if the Secretary is convinced that the work done is not in compliance with the terms of the contract, inform the fact to the President who shall place the matter before the committee