Panchayat:Repo18/Law Manual Page0405
(A) General Functions
1. Mobilisation of the technical expertise available from Government-non Government institutions.
2. Provide technical assistance to Block Panchayats, Village Panchayats and Municipalities.
3. Prepare schemes after taking into account the schemes of the Village Panchayat and the Block Panchayat to avoid duplication and to provide forward-backward linkage.
(B) Sector-wise Functions
1. Running of agriculture farms other than regional farms and research centres.
2. Integrated water-shed management in water-sheds covering more than one Block Panchayat area.
3. Provide for agricultural inputs.
4. Soil testing.
5. Pest control.
6. Marketing of agricultural products.
7. Cultivation of ornamental plants.
8. Promotion of agricultural co-operatives.
9. Promotion of commercial crops.
10. Application of bio-technology.
11. Popularisation of innovative field trials and pilot projects.
12. Conduct of locally appropriate research and development.
II. Animal Husbandry and Dairy Farming
1. Running of district level veterinary hospitals and laboratories.
2. Running of dairy extension units.
3. Promotion of Milk co-operative societies.
4. Running of farms other than regional farms, breeding farms and research centres.
5. Implementation of district level training.
6. Implementation of disease prevention programmes.
7. Propagating new methods of field trials and pilot projects.
8. Locally relevant research and development.
III. Minor Irrigation
1. Development of ground water resources.
2. Construction and maintenance of minor irrigation schemes covering more than one Block Panchayat.
3. Command area development.